Pittsburgh Filmmakers operates two movie theaters in the Pittsburgh area that feature alternatives to the multiplex – American indies, documentaries, and first-run foreign films, as well as an ongoing weekly series of popular classics. Each theater is equipped to project 16mm, 35mm, and DCP. For current film descriptions and showtimes, click here, or call the hotline: 412-682-4111.
The Harris is named after Pittsburgh businessman John P. Harris, who is recognized as the first person in the world to open a motion picture theater. The Harris opened as Avenue Cinema in 1931 and featured “continental pictures.” When it premiered Carl Th. Dreyer's La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc in 1935, it changed to the Art Cinema, a name it kept for more than 50 years. By the 60s, the Art Cinema was part of the city's red-light district, and it became an adult movie theater. Purchased in the early 90s by the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust as part of a strategic cultural renaissance, the Harris has been programmed and operated by Pittsburgh Filmmakers since 1995. It is the only movie theater in downtown Pittsburgh and operates seven days a week. Parking is available in nearby lots and at meters; many restaurants and art galleries are nearby. It seats 180. Map & Directions
Regent Square Theater
One of the last remaining single-screen neighborhood theaters in the region, this popular arthouse – built in 1936 – is surrounded by colorful shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, and an art gallery. Old-timers fondly remember going to see movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still and Vertigo at the theater – a tradition that continues with Sunday night classic film series. The theater was purchased by Pittsburgh Filmmakers in 1998, and two years later a “phase one” renovation project began with 300 new theater seats, adding extra legroom. More renovation is planned for the Regent Square, including expanded restrooms and lobby. Free parking is available on South Braddock Avenue or on nearby residential streets. It seats 284. Map & Directions